Forums

Forum Home > Video games > The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct First Impressions

Nina

Just gave this one about an hour / an hour and a half.  Just to complete the first big mission.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

In one word; it's alright! (alright being that "one word").  Two weeks ago, TOMB RAIDER was the highly anticipated game (for me anyway).  I finished tomb raider in two days.  Twas about 25 - 30 hours, on normal mode.  I then started it up again in HARD mode (normal mode almost seemed a lil too easy at times).

Now, two weeks later, The Walking Dead Survival Instincts has been released.  The game opens up in a forest in the mountains you play as a relative of Daryl's and Merele's who we haven't seen yet.  Yer  hunting deer.  It's fully linear.  You can't explore anything.  And in typical cookie cutter fashion, you can pretty much predict what's going to happen just before it happens.  You find a deer, but things get interrupted, and before you know it, you're surrounded by zombies.

The first 'mini' mission, when you finally get to control Daryl is fairly easy.  I made the first big mistake of trying to kill ALL the zombies while collecting the materials needed to start the escape vehicle.  I died like 3 times.  There is a neat feature which took me a little while to understand. You can sneak up behind a zombie, and (for PS3) you can HOLD R1 and do a one hit kill sneak attack.  For some reason it didn't compute to me and I kept pressing (not holding) R1, which merely punches the zombie.  Next thing I know, I'm in a melee battle with it. 

It's very easy to get over-whelmed and very easy to die when you're over-whelmed.  You get a gun pretty quick, and gun fire attracts, and once again, easily over-whelmed.  So, you quickly learn you gotta be sneaky and learn to sneak up behind zombies with one shot kills (R1 for PS3).

Once that first mini mission is done, to escape the camping / hunting lodge, you have a choice to get to your next location by highway, street or backroads.  Each choice has it's own pro and con.  Gas consumption, chance of a break down, opportunity to salvage on your journey.

Your first big mission is in a little down where you go to get some fuiel.  You meet a couple guys who bring something new to the group.  But, you can only hold so many survivors in your truck...so you gotta make a decision, who goes with you and who doesn't ('cause we know, in real life, you can put someone in the back...not everyone has to sit in the front).  There are oppurtunities to get a new car (as per the pre-interviews/reviews from various sources anyone may have looked into upon waiting for this game to release), which will hold more survivors and salvage.

This first mission is pretty decent.  Very sand box.  One location (small town about a block or two long), you gotta find fuel.  But you meet a couple guys who need something (thus opening optional quests).  You can run in 'guns blazing' and attract a lot of attention, or sneak by all zombies, kill who must be killed, throw a bottle to distract them and sneak by them etc.

The invisible walls are very annoying.  You can't climb easy chain linked fenses, you can't climb over small cars to escape, you gotta run around them (even if you're caught between cars at a dead end and zombies are closing in...you gotta fight through them, rather than jump over the cars).  In any event..there are some annoying limitations to the environment.  When you die, there is a pretty long load screen (like SKYRIM does), showing various game scenes with a few helpful hints.  But, the load screens can be annoying.  You start to wonder if the game has frozen...then bam..it transitions back to the game.

Killing zombies is kind of annoying.  Using the knife or a hammer.  If you don't do a sneak attack, it takes 4 standard hits (pressing R2) to take a zombie down.  If you do a strong hit (HOLDING R2), it takes 3 hits.  You can do combinations of strong and standard hits, but in general...it's kinda weak that it takes so many hits.  You can be up against 3+ zombies and try and time out your hits carefully.  You can punch a zombie to knock them back to jump in stab it.  Three (or four) hits per zombie and they're down!  You can use a gun to shoot it.  But you gotta shoot it in the head (as we all know) and their heads explode completely and they fall.  If you shoot it in the body (didn't do many body shots), they stagger and come back at you.  It would have been really neat if you could have shot a zombie in the head and part of its skull explodes leaving some skull left behind (like it does in the tv show).  But, it seems all shots from any guns (hand held pistol and rifle) makes all zombie heads explode.

The graphics are pretty dated.  But, some of the kill animations are alright.  You sneak up behind a zombie and stab it in the back of the head, blood goes everywhere.  If a zombie happens to grab you, you gotta struggle to stab it in the head.  Blood everywhere.  That's pretty awesome.

I just finished that first town, getting the fuel.

After playing the first hour and a bit of SURVIVAL INSTINCTS, I say it's alright.  Some aspects of the game are very frustrating (you can't do much with the environment) + the invisible walls.  Other parts of the game are friggin' awesome! Like how realistic the zombies are.  When they see you, they're on you!  They collect very fast and you get over whelmed very quickly.  You gotta be quiet and sneak around.  Salvaging and exploring are pretty good too!

I would rate this game 6.5 initially.  But that seems a bit low.  There is potential!  I only played about an hour and enjoyed it.  There is strong expectations that things will get better.  Killing zombies got very fun once you fully understand how to sneak properly.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City was an example of a game which started out pretty fun (3rd person shooter), but after a little while things seemed almost too repetative and got pretty boring (and zombies with bombs attached to them is really really friggin' lame!!).  R.E.O.R.C. had potential..but it lost me after a few missions.  I only lasted like 5 - 6 hours before I couldn't take it anymore.  And even trying to play online didn't help much.

Nina's "first impressions" of the Walking Dead Survival Instincts (first hour and a bit) - 7 / 10.  The extra .5 is for the expectation or hope  that things will get better. If things don't get more fun...it'll prolly stay around 6.5.

--

When in a highly public place, I often [secretly] observe my sorroundings and the people around me and ask myself, "If 99% of the people around me were zombies...and I had but seconds to respond, what would my plan be?" ~ Nina, Zombie enthusiast

March 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carl Grimes

Wont be buying this-looks and plays terrible.Another cash in on TWD name but we have come to expect this now.

Its Daryls Dad you play as at the begining by the way

--

"Social Justice Warriors are a disease and I am the cure"

Xbox One Tag: ChokingVictim87

March 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nina

(yes...I know it's Daryl's dad..I was trying to avoid spoilers)

--

When in a highly public place, I often [secretly] observe my sorroundings and the people around me and ask myself, "If 99% of the people around me were zombies...and I had but seconds to respond, what would my plan be?" ~ Nina, Zombie enthusiast

March 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

glenntwd
Not interested at the very least. What's next, Walking Dead: Daryl, Zombie Stripper? For the fangirls?
--

Hilltoppin'.

March 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Niupon

I checked the first 20 minutes of gameplay and even if the graphics were dated I had the  hope it will turn out to be an ok game

Last night i checked more gameplay plus  the  ending and I think 7/10 is too generous... I dont know if there are much spoilers or interesting stories in other chapters but  taking consideration the ending I bet there is a DLC comming with some new story for the Dixon Bros

to Glenn... dude.. zombie strippers will be at least cool to watch!! :D just like the crappy movie staring Robert Englund (Freddy) and Jena Jameson woot woot!

March 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carl Grimes

Looks like balls

--

March 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nina

NIUPON

When I'm playing a game, I'm asking myself about experience.  Small story; the very first time I ever played the original XBOX (years ago) was a KIOSK at a game store. I think it was DRIVER or som'n.  But it wasn't a fun game anyway.  In between the load screens, there was PONG in the bottom right corner.  I found myself enjoying playing PONG on xbox more than I enjoyed playing the game that was in the kiosk.

The point of that story; I enjoy experience of game play more than anything else.  SURVIVAL INSTINCTS, graphically is perhaps comparable to HALF LIFE 2.  I'm playing to sneak around and kill zombies and avoid death.  I'm not into games like BIO SHOCK or GOD OF WAR etc where it's simply button mashing goodness.  There are some games which are buttom mashing fun, but I'm not really into those too much.  They rely on intense scenes and graphics and loud sounds etc.  I can apprecaite how much fun that can be....but I like a lil more out of my game play.

So, as I said above, if I were to be brutally honest.  The game would be a solid 6/10.  There are parts/aspects of the game which push it up to the 6.5 - 7/10, but that is pushing it!

When I played TOMB RAIDER a couple weeks back.  Tomb raider is the kind of game I really enjoy.  I couldn't put it down.  I ONLY stopped to go to the bathroom and to eat (and my body YELLED at me with various uncomfortable cramps etc to tell me it's time to eat, or empty the tank).  Tomb raider was one of the greatest games I've played in a long while!  I'm looking forward to working through it in hard mode.

After an hour and a bit of SURVIVAL INSTINCTS I wasn't necessarily bored...but I wanted to keep my thoughts on the experience fresh.  (I also had to go out today for a bit...so I needed to make sure I had enough time to write a lil review before leaving).  Survival Instincts doesn't have me sucked in like Skyrim, I.C.O., Final Fantasy, or Tomb Raider did.

DEAD ISLAND: beautiful environment, but I hated the weapon upgrade system.  I didn't like how some zombies were "ragers" (like in 28 days/months later).  I'm only like 10 hours or so into it and I haven't touched it in months at least.

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City; fun for about 5 hours tops...then got boring and bad.  Online didn't help it.

Resident Evil 6; LEON's story was pretty awesome.  You're going up against actual zombies which was very fun!  The other two campaigns (and ADA's story) weren't as fun.  You're fighting against enemies which have weird tentacle things shooting out of them.  Resident evil started out fighting traditional, slow, dumb zombies.  That's what makes it fun.  LOTS and LOTS of friggin' zombies.  Not mutated humans with large crab tentacle arms etc.  It's stupid.  Resident Evil 6 should have kept the traditional zombie...and lots of them!

DEAD RISING; they had it right with the amount of zombies on screen, and how slow they are and at times how difficult it is to kill them...but they kinda lost me with the variety of weapons.  I don't wanna kill a zombie with a TV or a pylon.

LEFT4DEAD; I see the appeal to it, but those are all rager zombies and all they wanna do it punch you and swat at you.  Zombies wanna grab you and bite you and eat you.  Not punch you and slap you.

I'm still interested in finishing Survival Instincts.  I'll be playing it slow.  I'll be playing it all day Thursday.  Prolly get a good 10 or so more hours of it.

--

March 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ZombieHero

Nina, quit making me fall in love with you!

My first Xbox game was Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, I think I dominated the crap out of that game.

Really, I'm looking for a game with a strong story. The Mass Effect series was one of the best I ever played.

However, the best zombie game of all time was Resident Evil 2. The hallway with the licker running by the window was scary as hell.

Nice thing about Nina is, I dont have to waste money on games. She's such a gamer that if she says it was only ok, then I know it isnt worth my time

--

I'm a Detective for lost souls, I'm the hero for the damned, I am Zombie Hero

March 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nina

--

March 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ZombieHero

Trust me, I fear you

--

March 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carl Grimes

Ive gotta ask-is the girl in that GIF Nina?!

--

March 21, 2013 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SIEKONE
Site Owner

I think that has been asked before, I belive that is not Nina but her internet alterego!

--

March 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ZombieHero
I?m almost a hundred percent sure that is not Nina. I?m also sure ?Nina? has nothing to do with her real name. Girl doesn?t even have a facebook page, anonymity is her talent and I can?t blame her. With an internet full of perverts, hackers, and psycho?s; a girl has to protect herself.
--

March 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Niupon

hehe girls never put their real pics in forums... sometimes they are actually guys... anyways

IGN finally posted their review of  "The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct" they took like 2 days to pist it and since they have some kind of relationship with AMC (they always have exclusves interviews with Kirkman after each episode) I  wont be suprise if they did it since  it is not a good game to not screw with the possible "early" buyers

Here is the link fof the interview, Greg Miller (who i think is very accurate with reviews) gave it 4.5/10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/22/the-walking-dead-survival-instinct-review

March 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Nina

PM me for the details if they're important to you.

--

March 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

undeadpizzaboy
If the girl in the jpeg isn't Nina it must be someone from the internet. It would be easy for her to make these images and jpegs if it was her but then she would probably make them more often.
--

the zomboligist.

March 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ZombieHero

I have to ask, why does this matter? Nina's freaking awesome, thats all we should care about. So, let's put an end to this conversation before she whips out her hacking powers. Trust me I know. She once changed my name to PreciousRespectNina. Respect Nina!

--

March 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.