Forums

Forum Home > General discussion > Madness

dave

If one person says "this is Sparta", I will track them down and kick them into the pit of fucking doom.

Ahem... I digress...

Before I begin, I must state that when I use terms like "insane" or "crazy", I refer to the slang use of the words.  The only two characters in this series who could actually be clinically insane are the Governor and that guy who murdered the twins.

Moving on.

Throughout the series, we have seen many people descend into madness.  The Governor is a prime example, Carol is another.  We also see a string of actions brought on by the lack of structured law.  Carl's murder is a great example of that, the pedophiles who tried to get Carl, and Rick's attack on said pedophiles.  The characters, such as Rick and Abe, believe their ability to become vicious killers is a sign of insanity.

The group sees these traits as all negative; or, at least, they come with a price.

I think Kirkman needs to re-think his stance on that.  Without my medication, I am rude, crude, violent, aggressive, and impulsive.  Crazy, for a lack of better terms.  But Kirkman seems to connect insanity with immorality and amorality.  Crazy people aren't always to the detriment of others.  I would like to see a person who is dangerous and bloodthirsty, but works actively to better Team Grimes.

Lord knows how I'd be in this setting - I'd be killing anyone and anything I needed to, I'd point guns at a lot of people, I'd steal, I'd pillage... but if I ran into a group of good people, like Team Grimes, I'd stick with them and pull my weight.

July 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

Yep. A horrible bloodthirsty monster (with a heart of gold, of course) would come in handy in a zombie outbreak. I was really hoping that one of the prisoners would be a rutheless badass that would help the group and stick with them for a while. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see one eventually.

July 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric

Being a family man I would kill anyone I need to protect my wife and son. I think this is why I love the walking dead. I see the things Rick has done to protect Carl and I have no doubt in my mind I would do the same things for my boy.

--

July 17, 2009 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SIEKONE
Site Owner

AMEN BROTHA!!

--

July 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

Valid points Dave. I hope Kirkman can address Michonne talking to her dead boyfriend and Rick with his Lori phone in more detail. He needs to stop using them as gimmicks. Mental illness should be treated with a little more insight and be 3 dimensional and less 2 dimensional.

As a father there is nothing on this earth that would stop me me from destroying anyone or anything from hurting my son. Simple primal rage.

--

repectthestumpB.jpg picture by argo1965

July 18, 2009 at 8:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave

And, simply put, humans are capable of incredible violence.  And not just men; I get into a lot of fights, and I typically stick up for myself.  But the only person I actually run away from is my sister, who is half my size, and five times the viciousess.  Women would do the same if anyone was going to harm their baby.  In fact, there have been instances where mothers have lifted cars, or somesuch feats of superhuman abilities, to save their babes.

July 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

Never fuck around with an angry woman

July 18, 2009 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JuGGaLo-NiNJA

Rick's Stump at 08:48AM on Jul 18, 2009

Valid points Dave. I hope Kirkman can address Michonne talking to her dead boyfriend and Rick with his Lori phone in more detail. He needs to stop using them as gimmicks. Mental illness should be treated with a little more insight and be 3 dimensional and less 2 dimensional.

As a father there is nothing on this earth that would stop me me from destroying anyone or anything from hurting my son. Simple primal rage.

OOOooh 3D The Walking Dead I can get into that!  There was a link to a page someone did on Tony Moores site a while back.

--

Starve your fear, feed your life. You'll find that you might be completely different all together.

And then you'll decide which one you like better.

July 18, 2009 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darby

i don't see rick and/or abe considering the things they've done to be insane at all.  they of all seem to be processeing it better than anybody.  they have the "it's not pretty, but it's necessary to survive" outlook.  if anything, rick and abe hate what they have to do, but take it upon themselves to do the dirty work so some of the others don't have to "go where they go."  that's just how i've taken it.

July 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darby

as far as seeing a dangerous person who works actively with team Grimes, that would be interesting.  but what is the reality of Rick and Abe letting anyone into the group who is a confirmed sociopath, murderer, psychotic, etc?  they would never knowingly put the others at risk.  Michonne let the Governor live, and look what happened.

July 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

Darby at 03:15PM on Jul 19, 2009

as far as seeing a dangerous person who works actively with team Grimes, that would be interesting.  but what is the reality of Rick and Abe letting anyone into the group who is a confirmed sociopath, murderer, psychotic, etc?  they would never knowingly put the others at risk.  Michonne let the Governor live, and look what happened.

I couldn't see them letting a serial killer type into the group, they were hesitant enough to let the Reverand join the group. Like you said, they just wouldn't take that risk.

July 19, 2009 at 3:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dave

If I was in this situation, I would be off my medication.  Which means I would be a sociopath, capable of being a murderer, and an overall maniac.  But if I saw people who I thought were organized I'd be nice and gladly prove my worth.

July 19, 2009 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darby

i'm no shrink, but i don't think anyone could conceal true sociopathy and/or mania for too long. especially with Abe and Rick being the alphas that they are.

July 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

Darby at 06:50PM on Jul 20, 2009

i'm no shrink, but i don't think anyone could conceal true sociopathy and/or mania for too long. especially with Abe and Rick being the alphas that they are.

DEXTER has done it for 3 seasons! Ha! :lol:

--

July 21, 2009 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul of the Dead
I think the voices Rick and Michonne are hearing are kind of a defense mechanism not real maddness. I don't think it makes them a danger to the group.
July 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

Paul of the Dead at 05:29PM on Jul 21, 2009

I think the voices Rick and Michonne are hearing are kind of a defense mechanism not real maddness. I don't think it makes them a danger to the group.

I agree. The dead are walking around eating people. Having a voice in your head seems trivial

in comparison.

--

July 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

Rick's Stump at 07:56PM on Jul 21, 2009

Paul of the Dead at 05:29PM on Jul 21, 2009

I agree. The dead are walking around eating people. Having a voice in your head seems trivial

in comparison.

You'd be crazy not to have voices in your head! How could you be perfectly functional in a world where the dead walked?

July 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JuGGaLo-NiNJA

I hear voices in my head everyday doesn't everybody? :wink:

--

Starve your fear, feed your life. You'll find that you might be completely different all together.

And then you'll decide which one you like better.

July 22, 2009 at 1:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

JuGGaLo-NiNJA at 01:21AM on Jul 22, 2009

My voices tell me to buy Kirkman books. :tongue:

--

July 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

JuGGaLo-NiNJA at 01:21AM on Jul 22, 2009

Nah, I just have bugs under my skin.