Forums

Forum Home > General discussion > Signed Artwork:A Question

Carl Grimes

Ok,so I have four pieces of original artwork by Charlie Adlard and the 1st Omnibus.

Two pieces of the artwork are signed to me from Charlie along with the Omnibus.

Does this decrese their value at all?

May 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EvilAsh

Sad to say, if it is personalized to you, then yes it may decrease value.  If the artwork is simply signed by Charlie Adlard (without your name), that would actually increase the value (as long as the signature does not go over the artwork).   

May 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

Autographed books can increase in value, but art really doesn't matter. Some collectors frown on signed pages. The only thing that's going to matter is will someone buy it with a personalized signature or not. I get everything made out to me. I have no intention of selling any books or items that I got autographed. That's just my personal opinion. 

--

repectthestumpB.jpg picture by argo1965

May 11, 2009 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Carl Grimes

Yeah,taht makes sense.Thanks for the info guys.Im not actually planning on selling anything but just wanted a heads up for reference:)

May 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

zombrando

Carl Grimes at 04:20PM on May 11, 2009

Ok,so I have four pieces of original artwork by Charlie Adlard and the 1st Omnibus.

Two pieces of the artwork are signed to me from Charlie along with the Omnibus.

Does this decrese their value at all?

No collector likes their art personalized to someone else - but they are one of a kind items, so if you're buying a page you really want and it's personalized to someone else, then there's not much you can do. Where the signing was done on an original can also affect value, but to what extent depends on the collector. I think if you really want to get artwork personalized you should get it done in pencil or on the back of the page. The only artwork I have personalized is from Tony Moore - I didn't want him to but he wouldn't sell it if it wasn't done that way, and I wanted the art! Of course it doesn't matter at all if you're not selling. If you sell the omnibus it definitely matters because there's more than one - why buy one that has another collector's name in it when there are others that don't.

May 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

zombrando

EvilAsh at 04:53PM on May 11, 2009

Sad to say, if it is personalized to you, then yes it may decrease value.  If the artwork is simply signed by Charlie Adlard (without your name), that would actually increase the value (as long as the signature does not go over the artwork).   

When an artist illustrates a cover or pinup he usually puts his name somewhere in the image, so for me I don't see the point in getting another signature. Here's the original cover art for WD #8 (not mine). I really like this cover a lot, but also really don't like where Tony signed it at the bottom - it actually turns me off the original.

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=482793

Interiors are different as they aren't always signed - it's nice if they are, but I wouldn't say it increases value.

May 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

zombrando at 05:41PM on May 11, 2009

When an artist illustrates a cover or pinup he usually puts his name somewhere in the image, so for me I don't see the point in getting another signature. Here's the original cover art for WD #8 (not mine). I really like this cover a lot, but also really don't like where Tony signed it at the bottom - it actually turns me off the original.

Interiors are different as they aren't always signed - it's nice if they are, but I wouldn't say it increases value.

Yea. He should have signed it in the corner of the frame. Could have been in a rush.

--

May 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

EvilAsh

Rick's Stump at 07:47PM on May 11, 2009

zombrando at 05:41PM on May 11, 2009

Yea. He should have signed it in the corner of the frame. Could have been in a rush.

I don't like where he signed that cover #8 either.......his placement is much better on the cover that I own.........#7, bottom right corner:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=482584&GSub=46389

When I had him sign it, he was very careful to ask where I wanted it done, and whether or not I wanted it made out to me (which, of course, I didn't).

--Steve

May 12, 2009 at 6:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

Placement is key when you want to frame. 

--

May 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

redhollywood

Kirkman just scirbbles when he signs. 

--

I am the bee's knees. I vomit greatness and shit glory. Jesus got nothing on me.

May 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bonitis_Victim

redhollywood at 12:01PM on May 12, 2009

Kirkman just scirbbles when he signs. 

I wish I owned a kirkman scribble...

May 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick's Stump

It's is pretty sloppy for a writer. :tongue:

--

May 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.